Caldo de Siete Mares (Seafood Soup)Email
- 1 large white onion
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 5 cups water
- 1 cube Knorr® Shrimp flavor Bouillon Cube(s)
- 4 ounces cleaned squid, cut into 1/2-in. strips
- 4 ounces cleaned baby octopus, cut into individual tentacles
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems, about 1 small bunch
- 4 ounces unpeeled jumbo shrimp
- 10 mussels
- 10 clams
- 12 ounces catfish fillets, cut into 12 pieces
DirectionsEmail | Print
1. Peel onion, leaving root end intact and cut in half. Cut 1/2 onion lengthwise into 6 wedges. Coarsely chop remaining 1/2.
2. Heat oil in 2 gallon stockpot. Cook chopped onion with red pepper until onion is just translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in onion wedges, tomatoes, water, Knorr® Shrimp flavor Bouillon Cube(s), squid and octopus. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, loosely covered, until octopus and squid are fork-tender, about 25 minutes.
4. Stir in chopped cilantro and shrimp and cook 2 minutes. Stir in mussels and clams and cook, covered, until shells open, about 2 minutes. (Discard any unopened shells).
5. Arrange catfish on top of stew and cook until catfish is opaque, about 2 minutes.
6. Serve, if desired, with lime wedges.